Tesla Gigafactory Real Estate Information Center
This page provides key information to anyone who is interested in housing and real estate related to the Tesla Gigafactory near Reno, NV. Due to the project size, scope, and location, this information should be useful to current and prospective Tesla employees as well as investors of residential or commercial property based around this development.
About The Tesla Gigafactory
On September 4, 2014 Tesla Motors selected the Reno, NV area to build its world class Gigafactory. The announcement ended a highly publicized competition between Nevada, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, and California to become home to Tesla's massive factory to produce lithium ion batteries to power electric cars and other equipment on a world wide scale. The gigafactory construction has started and will run to 2017 when the factory is complete. The factory will cover 5 million square feet and will run entirely on renewable solar and wind energy resources. Tesla plans to commence manufacturing operations in 2017 and have the factory at full capacity by 2020 when they expect to employ 6,500 workers.
Location of the Gigafactory
Tesla's Nevada factory is located on Electric Avenue (Portofino Avenue before the announcement!) within the Tahoe Reno Industrial Center (TRIC). The TRIC is located about 16 miles east of Sparks and 24 miles west of Fernley along Interstate 80 (map below). The TRIC covers over 100,00 acres south of I-80. In addition to I-80's access to TRIC, the state of Nevada, as part of the Tesla incentive package, committed to completing USA Parkway, a four lane highway, from TRIC south to Highway 50 near Silver Springs, NV. This extended highway will make areas along Highway 50 a reasonable commute to Tesla and other employers at TRIC. The USA Parkway extension could be completed as early as 2017. Visit the NDOT project web site for current plans and progress.
Map of Nevada Cities near Tesla Gigafactory
Distance and Commute Time Estimates
Since the Tesla factory is not immediately adjacent to surrounding homes, the table below may be useful in trying to establish approximate distance and commute times to nearby cities.
|City/Town||Distance (mi)||Time (min)|
|Silver Springs *||18||22|
* NOTE: Distance and commute times to Silver Springs, Stagecoach, Dayton, and Carson City are all calculated based on the completion of USA Parkway from TRIC to Silver Springs - estimated completion is late 2017. Until then, add approximately 40 minutes to these times.
Housing Near the Tesla Gigafactory
There are a wide range of options for housing within a 60 minute drive of the Tesla factory. For questions on new housing developments, feel free to call us at 775-473-9531.
- Fernley - Fernley will offer the closest most affordable housing with easy freeway access and everyday amenities such as Walmart, Lowe's, and grocery shopping. Vist our page featuring all Fernley home listings near the Tesla factory.
- Sparks - Sparks is the closest larger city (2010 population of approx. 100,000) to the Tesla factory. The city offers a wide variety of housing and access to many shopping and entertainment amenities. The Spanish Springs area north of Old Sparks offers a planned community feel and would be highly desirable for Tesla employees seeking newer homes in this type of community with a reasonable commute. If you can't find it in Sparks, Reno is right next door. Browse active Sparks listings - about 20 miles from the Tesla factory. Additionally, visit our Sparks Homes or Sparks Condo Community directory pages to assess location and current listings.
- Reno - Reno offers a variety of homes and condos in many different flavors. Downtown Reno offers an urban lifestyle with properties in walking distance to a variety of dining and entertainment options. Reno has homes in rural settings as well as gated communities. Condo Complexes range in age, amenities, and location to suit many tastes. View all Reno home listings near Tesla or visit our Reno Homes or Reno Condo Community directory pages to assess location and current listings.
- Silver Springs - Upon completion of USA Parkway in 2017 (scheduled), the Silver Springs area will offer quick access to Tesla. This area is primarily rural with a few neighborhood like subdivisions. View Silver Springs homes near Tesla.
- Stagecoach - To the immediate west of Silver Springs, Stagecoach is a rural area that has not developed as much as Dayton or Fernley. This area offers a wide open rural lifestyle. View Stagecoach MLS Listings here.
- Dayton - Dayton offers a number of home subdivisions as well as more rural home options. Located about 12 miles east of Carson City, Dayton will offer a shorter drive to Tesla and more affordable housing options than Reno, Sparks, or Carson City. Take a look at homes on Dayton Valley Golf Course or all home listings in Dayton.
- Carson City - Carson City offers a smaller town feel than Reno or Sparks but a much greater amenities selection over Fernley, Silver Springs, Stagecoach, or Dayton. Even though the commute is a bit farther, Carson City does offer housing options within a reasonable commute to Tesla. View Carson City listings here.
Investment and Rental Property near Tesla Gigafactory
If you are looking at investment property for residential rental income (duplex, tripex, fourplex, and apartments), the links below will show you current listings for those markets offering multifamily housing. There is essentially no multifamily property inventory in Silver Springs and Stagecoach (as of 2014) due to the rural nature of these areas. Additionally, with options in Reno/Sparks and Fernley which all represent a closer commute to Tesla than Carson City, we are not covering Carson City on this page although you will find multifamily listings in Carson City.
- Reno Investment Property - The Reno market will offer the largest variety of rental and investment property. The areas in the Northwest, Old Southwest, Downtown, and Midtown would all offer quick freeway access for commuting. Ares in the North Valleys or South Reno will be less directly influenced by Tesla employee demand but would still see some benefit. View Reno Investment Property for sale near Tesla.
- Sparks Investment Property - Sparks offers quite a bit of multifamily properties with most concentrated along Interstate 80 which would make for great freeway access and a short drive to Tesla. See Calneva Realty's Sparks Multifamily and Investment Property for sale.
- Fernley Investment Property - The Fernley rental market will see a rise in demand from Tesla's factory, however rental rates and property appreciation for multifamily will likely not rise at the same rate as the Reno/Sparks markets due to the fact that the commute distance is roughly equivalent and the Reno/Sparks markets offer much more in terms of shopping, entertainment, and schools. Click here for a current list of Fernley multifamily properties.
If you have more questions on local market trends and developments or want to sharpen your focus on researching real estate and see any properties, please call 775-473-9531 or complete the form for further help. We'll be happy to get back to you and be of further help.