Switch Data Center Real Estate Guide
This page is full of useful information about Switch Tahoe Reno Data Center and is available to current and prospective employees as well as investors who may be interested in housing and real estate in relation to the Switch Tahoe Reno Data Center just east of Reno, NV. Switch Tahoe Reno Data Center is the largest, most advanced colocation facility in the world so, because of the size of the data center and location, we found it appropriate to collect information not only about the company itself but, also detailed info about available residential or commercial property surrounding Switch.
About The Switch Data Center
Switch Tahoe Reno, is the single largest colocation data center facility in the world at 1.3 million square feet and is powered by 100-percent renewable energy, binding Switch’s commitment to industry-leading green energy. Switch chose the Tahoe Reno Industrial Center as its home in Mccarran, NV along side of huge names in the industry as in Tesla Gigafactory, Panasonic, Google, and Apple. The Switch Tahoe Reno data centers are connected to the Switch SUPERLOOP, wich is a 500-mile, multi-terabyte fiber optic network that provides active connectivity to San Francisco and Los Angeles as well as the company’s 2.5 million square feet of data center space located in Las Vegas. This enables clients to build resilient, always-on IT infrastructures to support continuous business operations. It's route through Nevada, completes the SUPERLOOP pathway through the State of California, delivering the most direct and diverse path for data to reach its destination with the lowest latency connectivity, at 4 and 7 milliseconds respectively. The SUPERLOOP allows Switch’s more than 1,000 clients to deploy a low-risk, low network latency IT infrastructure for mission-critical workloads. In addition, SUPERLOOP connects Switch’s clients to more than 40 million people through fiber optic communication to California’s Bay Area and the Los Angeles metropolitan area in sub-10 milliseconds.
Location of the Switch Data Center
Switch's Northern Nevada Data Center is located on USA Pkwy in the Tahoe Reno Industrial Center (TRIC). The TRIC is positioned about 16 miles east of Sparks and 24 miles west of Fernley along Interstate 80 (map below). The TRIC covers over 100,000 acres south of I-80. In addition to I-80's access to TRIC, the state of Nevada is committed to completing USA Parkway, a four lane highway, from TRIC south to Highway 50 near Silver Springs, NV. This extended highway will make areas along Highway 50 an wide open commute to Switch Tahoe Reno and many other employers at TRIC. The USA Parkway extension is planned to be completed in 2017 but for more accurate updates, visit - NDOT project web site.
Map of Nevada Cities near Switch Data Center
Distance and Commute Time Estimates
Switch Tahoe Reno Data Center is not currently adjacent to surrounding homes, the table below may be useful in trying to establish approximate distance and commute times to nearby cities.
|City/Town||Distance (mi)||Time (min)|
|Silver Springs *||18||22|
*NOTE: Distance and commute times to Silver Springs, Stagecoach, Dayton, and Carson City are all calculated based on the completion of USA Parkway from TRIC to Silver Springs - estimated completion is late 2017. Until then, add approximately 40 minutes to these times.
Housing Near the Switch Data Center
There are a great variety of options for housing within a 60 minute drive of the Switch Tahoe Reno Data Center. For all questions on housing developments, feel free to call us at 775-473-9531.
- Fernley - Fernley will offer the closest most affordable housing with easy freeway access and everyday amenities such as Walmart, Lowe's, and grocery shopping. Visit our page featuring all Fernley home listings near the Switch Tahoe Reno Data Center factory.
- Sparks - Sparks is the closest larger city (2010 population of approx. 100,000) to Switch Tahoe Reno Data Center. The city offers a large variety of housing and access to many shopping and entertainment amenities. The Spanish Springs area north of Old Sparks offers a planned community feel and would be highly desirable for Switch Tahoe Reno Data Center employees seeking newer homes in this type of community with a reasonable commute. If you can't find it in Sparks, Reno is right next door. Browse active Sparks listings - about 20 miles from the Switch Tahoe Reno Data Center factory. Additionally, visit our Sparks Homes or Sparks Condo Community directory pages to assess location and current listings.
- Reno - Reno offers a variety of homes and condos in many different flavors. Downtown Reno offers an urban lifestyle with properties in walking distance to a variety of dining and entertainment options. Reno has homes in rural settings as well as gated communities. Condo Complexes range in age, amenities, and location to suit many tastes. View all Reno home listings near Switch Tahoe Reno Data Center or Reno Condo Community directory pages to assess location and current listings.
- Silver Springs - Upon completion of USA Parkway in 2017 (scheduled), the Silver Springs area will offer quick access to Switch Tahoe Reno Data Center. This area is primarily rural with a few neighborhood like subdivisions. View Silver Springs homes near Switch Tahoe Reno Data Center.
- Stagecoach - To the immediate west of Silver Springs, Stagecoach is a rural area that has not developed as much as Dayton or Fernley. This area offers a wide open rural lifestyle. View Stagecoach MLS Listings here.
- Dayton - Dayton offers a number of home subdivisions as well as more rural home options. Located about 12 miles east of Carson City, Dayton will offer a shorter drive to Switch Tahoe Reno Data Center and more affordable housing options than Reno, Sparks, or Carson City. Take a look at Dayton Homes near Switch Data Center.
- Carson City - Carson City offers a smaller town feel than Reno or Sparks but a much greater amenities selection over Fernley, Silver Springs, Stagecoach, or Dayton. Even though the commute is a bit farther, Carson City does offer housing options within a reasonable commute to Switch Tahoe Reno Data Center. View Carson City listings here.
Investment and Rental Property near Switch Data Center
Looking at investment property for residential rental income? The links below will show you current listings for those markets offering multifamily housing (duplex, tripex, fourplex, and apartments). There is essentially no multifamily property inventory in Silver Springs and Stagecoach due to the rural location. Additionally, with options in Reno/Sparks and Fernley which all represent a closer commute to Switch Tahoe Reno Data Center than Carson City, we are not covering Carson City on this page although you will find multifamily listings in Carson City.
- Reno Investment Property - The Reno market will offer the largest variety of rental and investment property. The areas in the Northwest, Old Southwest, Downtown, and Midtown would all offer quick freeway access for commuting. Ares in the North Valleys or South Reno will be less directly influenced by Switch Data Center employee demand but would still see some benefit. View Reno Investment Property for sale near Switch Tahoe Reno Data Center.
- Sparks Investment Property - Sparks offers quite a bit of multifamily properties with most concentrated along Interstate 80 which would make for great freeway access and a short drive to Switch Data Center. See Calneva Realty's Sparks Multifamily and Investment Property for sale.
- Fernley Investment Property - The Fernley rental market will see a rise in demand from Switch Tahoe Reno Data Center, however rental rates and property appreciation for multifamily will likely not rise at the same rate as the Reno/Sparks markets due to the fact that the commute distance is roughly equivalent and the Reno/Sparks markets offer much more in terms of shopping, entertainment, and schools. Click here for a current list of Fernley multifamily properties.
If you have more questions on local market trends and developments or want to sharpen your focus on researching real estate and see any properties, please call 775-473-9531 or complete the form for further help. We'll be happy to get back to you and be of further help.